Wednesday 11 May 2022

International placement in Sant Marti de Tous, Spain.

Hi all, my name is Robbie Carroll. I am from Waterford Ireland, and I am writing to you from the beautiful place of Sant Marti de Tous just outside Barcelona. 

I am here as part of my studies. I arrived in Barcelona City on 25th February before making my way out to Saint Maiti de Tous on the 28th. 





Before then, I stayed in a hotel in La Rambla. The buzz and atmosphere along the Rambla which was full of life and excitement, so I checked in and set out to explore. 

La Rambla is a 1.2 km long street and is one of Barcelona’s main attractions. It was originally a sewage, filled streambed, usually dry, but an important drain for the heavy rainwater flowing from the hills during spring and autumn. 





My first place to visit was St Josep de la Boqueria. La Boqueria, is a large public market in the old city district of Barcelona and one of the city’s main tourist landmarks with an entrance from La Rambla. The wonderful and beautiful market that is a must for any visitor to Barcelona, with its grand iron gates entrance to the marked, as you walk around and take in the banquet of smells, colours and taste, the stall holders shouting to get your attention it is an experience to saviour. You will find food from of all varieties and from nationalities of the world under one roof. 


As you make your way around the stalls there is a selection of bars selling both food and drink, this gives you a choice to have lunch or a snack. From fresh squeezed juices to seafood, fruits, vegetables, meats, cheeses, and olives, you could spend hours in this amazing place.  


For my placement, I have chosen a different path from working in a kitchen environment, as I wanted to experience the production side of organic farming, from farm to fork.  

A bit about how I got here, my placement is through WWOOF Spain a non-profit Association linking volunteers (WWOOFERS) with 289 active organic farmers and growers in Spain who are using organic methods in search of sustainability.

Worldwide opportunities on organic farms which is part of a Worldwide movement linking visitors with organic farmers and growers to promote cultural and educational experiences based on trust and non-monetary exchange thereby helping to build a sustainable global community. 

By for now folks, my next blog report will be done from the farm. "Adios por ahara"...

No comments:

Post a Comment