Wednesday 25 May 2022

Edinburgh, Over and out

 Hey Guys this is Lauren back with my final blog in Edinburgh. I just finished working at The Intercontinental, the George hotel. Overall my experience there was generally positive. The main negative was the changing team and general lack of chefs. However that issue seems to be resolved now as a new head chef has started and is bringing more chefs with him which is great. He is changing a few things around and I think if the restaurant goes in the direction he is taking it I'd definitely recommend it. However as it was when I was there I think I definitely would have learned more in BABA. Something I did like was getting to be in charge of my own section. Even though I had less experience than the others working there I still felt very respected and my input was appreciated. For my last week I was on the banqueting team, which was a nice switch of pace and a nice way to wind down working at the hotel. If you want more flexible working hours I'd definitely recommend asking to work on the functions as they are very relaxed. I could basically come in when I wanted as long as the prep got done.  And once the function was sent and everything was cleaned you could leave. So generally I was finishing around 9 when if I was in the restaurant I wouldn't be finishing till around 11. I also feel very lucky to have made amazing friends while working. I feel very lucky knowing that I always have a job and people to call if I come back here. 






Edinburgh is such an amazing place to go regardless if you choose the George or not. There are so many great places to eat. On Sunday I went to the neighborhood market and got to try lots of different foods and listen to live music in the sun. I would definitely recommend checking it out if you are in Edinburgh. It is Stockbridge which is also a very cute area with lots of nice cafes, bakeries and restaurants. So definitely a good spot to go to. The start of the water of Leith walkway is also in Stockbridge which feels like an escape from the city which is great if you are in need of a bit of peace and quiet. I could honestly go on all day about Edinburgh but I will leave you here.

Thanks for reading,

That's me over and out


No comments:

Post a Comment