Monday 28 February 2022

Welcome to the Slieve Donard Hotel

 

Hello everyone!

My name is Eimear Dooley and I am writing from Newcastle in Northern Ireland where I am doing my work placement in the Slieve Donard Hotel. On the first day I moved here, I couldn’t believe that I was going to be working in this magnificent hotel, located right on the beach and with the Mourne Mountains surrounding it. My first impression of the hotel was very positive and welcoming as I settled into my own room in the hotel. For the first two days, I explored the town of Newcastle before starting my work placement on the Monday. I was nervous starting work in a new work environment but when I walked into the kitchens that morning, everyone was so welcoming and kind and I knew I would have no problem settling in here.

In 1972, the Hastings group purchased the Slieve Donard hotel and this year, AJ Capital Partners acquired the hotel, which will become the first Marine & Lawn Hotels property in Northern Ireland and the fourth hotel in the property. The future for this hotel looks very promising with many new exciting opportunities to take place.

This Victorian hotel has many amenities available for every guest to avail of. The spa at the Slieve Donard overlooks the beach and the Mourne Mountains. It also includes the pool, gym, thermal heat suites, spa treatments and relaxation rooms. Next to the hotel is the word famous Royal County Down Golf Course for those golf enthusiasts to enjoy.



There are also many ways to enjoy the food & drink that the Slieve Donard has to offer. The chefs use the finest local, seasonal produce to create a varied of menus. In the Oak Restaurant, breakfast, afternoon tea, dinner and Sunday lunch are served. Other dining options include the Chaplins Bar, the Lighthouse Lounge, where you can enjoy lunch while enjoying the view of the beach, and the Percy French Inn, a separate bistro restaurant situated at the entrance to the hotel. Weddings, Conferences and events are very popular in the Slieve Donard. 


I have started working in the main kitchen, situated in the Oak Restaurant in the pastry section. All the chefs are so friendly and I am settling in well. At the moment, the hotel is quiet but the weeks following on will be very busy. I have helped with preparation for different conferences and for afternoon teas. I have also baked sweet treats which are needed for the daily running of the restaurant such as traybakes, scones, breakfast muffins, panna cottas, cupcakes and lots more.


That’s all for now,

Goodbye,

Eimear   


No comments:

Post a Comment