Sunday 20 February 2022

Arrival at the Slieve Donard Hotel

 

Hi there, its April here from the Slieve Donard in Newcastle County Down. This Hotel was recently bought by AJ Capital, which took it over from the Hastings group, Hastings Hotels purchased the Slieve Donard, an old railway hotel, in 1972 After much investment over the years, many now regard the Slieve Donard Resort and Spa as the “Gleneagles” of Northern Ireland. I arrived by car on the 14th of January and my first impression when I saw the hotel was “wow” it was magnificent I couldn’t believe that I was going to get an experience in a hotel that looked like a castle which was also at the foot of the Mourne Mountains. The hotel has an historic look from the outside but when you enter the entrance it is modern, and you are met with warmth from the open fire, the coziness of the fabrics and the colours on the wall. I could tell straight away that this hotel is very family and friendly based. There is even a family dog who stays in the hotel and greets the guest. Its such little touch but makes every customer day special.  I felt right at home. I am staying in the hotel, and I get enjoy all the food, the use of the gym and pool.

Let’s talk some more about the hotel, there is a golden strand of beach borders one side while the mighty Royal County Down golf course frames the other, everywhere you look you are stunned with the view. The hotel boasts 180 luxurious bedrooms, including 100 new Executive and Resort rooms and six magnificent Suites, many of which have stunning panoramic views over the Mountains of Mourne and County Down coastline. The spa overlooks the beautiful view of the seaside and the mountains.

Now its time for me to get to work, a little taster of what I have experienced so far, so I have met all

the chefs who are very kind, patient, and they all have a passion for food. We focus on fine dining and flavourful dishes. We use locally sourced and seasonal ingredients which I have learned so far that you got to love and treat them with care for you to get the best outcome, for example preparation, cooking, cooling, storage, and reheating of all foods are different and necessary to know. I am working with many ingredients which I have not experience cooking with before, example
Kohlrabi which is vegetable but when prepared correctly it tastes amazing.  So far, I am working on the starter section, I am also getting experience on main course and dishing up sides. So far, I love it here at the Slieve Donard, there is something for everyone to do.

Until next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment