Thursday 24 March 2022

Life in Edinburgh

 

Hi All, Bethany here, 

So, two months completed in the gorgeous city of Edinburgh. I am working as a Commis Chef in the Intercontinental Edinburgh The George Hotel. So far so good, I am really enjoying myself both in and out of work. I moved over a week before work started so I had plenty of time to sightsee and just enjoy myself. 

After my week of exploring and settling in, it was time for our company induction. There was lots of new staff joining the hotel and we had an interesting day of learning all about the hotel and the parent group IHG Hotels and Resorts. We were provided with a free lunch, as much coffee and cakes as we could stomach before a tour of the hotel.

To make the day even more interesting I ran into some familiar faces. My now good friend Lauren Butler, 3rd year BACA was sat next to me at the induction, and we are now working together in the kitchen, which makes the work so much easier and more enjoyable. After our induction we were invited for a welcome dinner with the rest of the Irish placement students joining the IHG group. This was such a great experience; the food was lovely, and we had an all-round good time. Following dinner, we wandered around the city and had a lot of laughs.


My first few weeks on the job were of course full of learning, mostly stationed on the Larder section until I was comfortable in the kitchen. Since then, I have been on the Pastry section, which has been so much fun, and I have definitely been in my element. All of the staff in the hotel are super friendly and supportive, especially the kitchen team. I have made such a good group of friends and have never felt more comfortable in a job before.

In the meantime, I have had some friends and family come to visit me, making the last month more exciting. I have eaten in some amazing restaurants, found the best places to get a coffee and nice places to visit on my days off.

All of these amazing experiences have made my first month in Edinburgh so easy and enjoyable. I cannot wait to see what the next few months brings, and hopefully they continue to be as fun.








No comments:

Post a Comment