Wednesday 29 June 2022

International placement in Sant Marti de Tous, Spain II.

 

La Masia

Saint Marti de Tous Barcelona – Spain

La Masia is a well-run family farm run by Marti and he’s father, it has been in the family for over 500 years. Its main function today is all about crop rotation, ecological farming without chemicals or pesticides. The farm is surrounded by beautiful countryside and is full of history and local traditions.

In 2016 Marti decided to develop an Organic production of vegetables and fruits on 3 hectares off their land. The dream was to provide local produce to the community and restaurants in the area, which has been developed over the short years of its existence.

The Masia (farm) is located a one-hour drive from Barcelona, 45min’s from the beaches, 30 mins from the famous Montserrat’s Monastery built on mountain tops, 1hour 40min’s Andorra nestled under the Pyrenees and just 25min’s away is the local village.

The farm is very much a family run business, where you would meet Marti’s father who is also known as Marti, his mother and brothers visit the farm often they live in the local village.

When I got off the bus I was immediately greeted by this epic open and beautiful countryside, and it already felt like I had entered a different universe. A lift from Marti and I arrived at the farm, and I was giving a huge welcome from the hosts and the other volunteers, Jacques Billaud (France) and Alberto Calderas (Trujillo, Venezuela).

                      

Though Marti was not fluent in English, he was very good in communicating with me and my co-workers. He took his time explain the history of the farm and the hopes and dreams he had to develop and produce a very high standard of fruits and vegetables, which were being sold locally and as far away as Barcelona in Supermarkets.

I was informed beforehand that there’s limit Wi-Fi, so I imagined coming to the middle of nowhere and was thinking that I’m probably going to be alone most of the time and working hard. When I got here it’s not what I’ve been used to, but I’ve been loving the lifestyle and hard work.

Mainly, my day consisted of meeting Marti in the morning to receive our tasks. Marti would supervise, educated, and if we had any questions he would gladly answer. In the evening we would then meet to report on the day’s activities, and any situation that may have arisen and how they were resolved.

In farming practice does make progress. When I first tried to harvest spinach and other vegetables, it was a little bit tricky, but I eventually got the hang of it, and you get a lot more efficient at it as you get more practice. I had arrived at the farm when spinach, curly kale, and stem garlic were getting into its fullest bloom, so we always spend at least the morning harvesting and maintaining the crop.

Other fruit / vegetables that are harvest / maintained and agriculture tasks include:

  • Spring onions                                     
  • Carrots
  • Peppers
  • Salad leaves
  • Strawberries
  • Oranges
  • Maintaining the fields
  • Seed saving / Germinating
  • Planting
  • Preparing orders for supermarkets and local customers


      

              

There was always something to do on the farm and when something needs to be done you just do it and it does not feel like you are on the clock, it doesn't feel like you are doing a job, it’s just a way of life here.

Another responsibility of mine was to look after the 70 hens. I would start off their morning by rolling up the front / back of their coop and opening the door so that they can head out into their fenced in porch and then I would collect their eggs.

Every day I would make sure that they would have fresh water and their organic corn / soy free feed. Then for the remainder of the morning and most of the afternoon, I just let them forage for bugs and grass, finish up their feed and then in the early afternoon, I would bring them a bunch of food scraps that we harvest which include fruit and vegetables that are not suitable for the consumer.

During the spring when the sun sets, they like to stay out on their porch and so they love to go into bed around 20:00 or 20:30. I will then roll down each side of their coop and make sure that they’re looked up and secure for the night.

These tasks are just several different activities I endure throughout the day. I have learned a lot and I am still learning as every day passes me by. Time is going so fast and every day I am falling more in love with this way of life / lifestyle. More on my next blog!































No comments:

Post a Comment