Friday, 1 April 2022

Nearly There

Hello Everyone, Marshall again.

Where do I even begin? They say that time flies when you are having fun and that is absolutely true. I can't believe that it's already April and my time here at the Grand Central Hotel is nearly finished. 

Work has been incredibly busy since the last time I had posted. The last 2 weeks in particular have been the busiest I have ever seen in any hotel I have worked at prior. The weekend of Mother's Day saw 299 out of the 300 rooms available booked on Saturday night, resulting in 500 or so coming down for breakfast in a 3.5-hour window. Both the Grand Cafe and the Seahorse Restaurant were opened for buffet breakfast with all the senior chefs and Damian himself coming in to help out. Pastry was relatively calm Sunday morning as all of the work had been done on Saturday for the 125 people in for Afternoon Tea. At £40pp for Afternoon Tea, that equates to £5,000 worth of sales before a guest purchase any drinks or extras. Afternoon Tea was split between 2 locations as the top floor Observatory was fully booked over a week in advance of the day, so the Seahorse Restaurant and Lounge was opened for Afternoon Tea service to accommodate the extra guests. Overall the day ran relatively smoothly and it has been business as usual so far after.

I feel that the pastry team is coming together well and I am glad for the newest addition to the team. Faith is also here on placement from Waterford IT and is settling in fantastically. With the 3 of us in total working together our days are running smoother and smoother. 

It is going to be a shame when I finish my placement and leave in just over 2 weeks. I have made so many friends and have bonded so well with all the staff here at the Grand Central. On the 20th of March, there was the long-overdue Staff "Christmas" party that was pushed back because of Covid-19. It was a themed dress to impress and turned out to be a fantastic night. The party was held at our sister hotel the Europa just around the corner from us on Victoria Street. After a feed, a few drinks, and a few hours of music most of the staff and I headed into town for the night.

Anyways I am going to leave my update at that.

Marshall :)

No comments:

Post a Comment