Sunday 28 October 2018


Daily life of  a Hungarian..Budapest update! 

Budapest on a rainy day- church tops. 


Hello everyone! As you may remember from last time I am still in Budapest...taking in the breathtaking views and surviving chaotic work days!
Today's update will focus primarily on three things, two of which I feel are often ignored when blogging about the move to a foreign country; Solitude, Mental strength and of course my personal advancements at work. 




 Solitude: Dealing with the loneliness; 
     Chances are at some point during your time away there will be several rainy days when it doesn't feel like there is anyone around and you've got to pick yourself up! Being a student we are used to always being around people..most of whom are around our own age and are probably like-minded . Being taken out of an environment like this and dropped into a professional kitchen where you only have a limited number of people with whom to interact and not much of a chance to pick and choose can be difficult to say the least. I know myself am very much a 'social butterfly' and like to be out and about.  Unfortunately a working week which consists of a minimum of 5 days, 12 hours per day leaves one exhausted both mentally and physically. This in turn means that days off can often be spent doing nothing but sleep or not doing much at all.  For me personally- it was times like these that forced me to really get used to being my own company and enjoying spending time alone. It was difficult to begin with, but not long after I had no problem planning trips and outings for one.  I also believe it is important to be open to forming bonds with workmates. 
' Pogacsa' sampling with Kiki(we bought one of each)..Pogacsa are the Hungarian versions of scones and are almost always salty. 

    It is very unlikely that there will not be one single person that one can get along with and form a friendship with. I was very lucky to have found a flat with amazing flatmates and friends at work with whom to share  the rainy days. :) 

Morning market hall- fresh, local produce. 
Getting through the tough times:
    I must admit that the past 5 months were one of the toughest times of my life.  I cannot be left unsaid that working in an environment like this puts an immense amount of pressure on ones body and mind as much mentally as emotionally. There will be days when you won't feel like leaving the house or even getting out of bed. Days when you are exhausted both mind and body. These will be the days that will really test one's character. 
Traditional Hungarian-Jewish 'Flodni' dessert 

I will not say that it was easy, but it was possible to overcome every one of these days with a  pinch of discipline and a lot of nagging from my mother to pull myself out of bed. :D I've learnt several things about keeping myself motivated to do it day in and day out- because nobody else will do it for you. I am a goal oriented individual; as long as I have a clear picture in my mind of what I am doing and the exact reason I am doing it for- I will keep going. You gotta give yourself a purpose to get out of bed and crash each and every day. 

   My main areas of focus and personal development were focusing on my health and fitness, and the environment and atmosphere around me. 
    They say you are what you eat. Therefore I saw no better way to spend a percentage of my pay check then the food that I put into my body. I spent countless hours at the local markets and street food nights, eating out from local Hummusbars to several dessert bars. I meal prepped each week for the following 4-5 days, making sure I only used quality, fresh, local ingredients to keep me energised throughout the toughest days.
     Buying a membership at the local 4% gym was one of the best things I did with my time here. Because improving yourself physically will interlink with your mental health. I've always worked out- more for the mental benefits, because the physical will inevitably follow. Teaching yourself the discipline to get out of bed before a 12 hour shift and push through with a tough 1.5 hour workout will teach more drive than most other things. 

Focusing on the job: 

'Hungarian Paris-Brest' - Costes Restaurant. 
    Having been here for almost five months now, I certainly feel that I have come a long way. I have improved my speed, concentration, numerous skills, teamwork abilities but most of all my focus. I have learnt to focus on one single thing at a time , each intricate little detail meanwhile focusing on the flow and run of the service and the orders of the chef. Having run the pastry kitchen alone with Kiki(the other girl working with me in pastry) some days was a huge responsibility to say the least. 


It is not easy to send out each and every dessert to perfection when there is chaos going on around you, but this level of focus and drive will no doubt follow me into all other areas of my life. 

It is certainly a journey, and I am not exactly sure where it is taking me just yet. But the lessons learnt along the way are things that will stay with me for years to come. 

Until next time, 
Hanna. :) 
    
Budapest- midday walk on the chain bridge. 




No comments:

Post a Comment