Saturday 13 October 2018

'Believe in the Slieve'


‘Believe in the Slieve’


Hey guys for those of you who don’t know who I am, my name is Aine. I am currently studying BA Honours degree in Culinary Arts in Waterford Institute of Technology. I am currently in my third year of the course and as part of the academic year. I must go on work placement for our third year.
I chose the Slieve Donard Resort and Spa in the beautiful seaside town of Newcastle, Co. Down. I’m here with two of my fellow classmates and friends Saoirse and Robert( Yes I do need a medal for putting up with them) Starting in the kitchen was very nerve wrecking as it is a kitchen that produces such a high volume of food each day, but it did make it so much easier to have a dedicated  team that is ran by our amazing head chef Hazel Magill. I was trained up on the starter section of the kitchen and learnt how to how to prepare cook and serve each of the dishes. It’s also the responsibility of the chef on starters to come up with an Amuse Bouche (pre-starter) for the Hotel Restaurant. This is something I really enjoy doing  as it’s a way of expressing my creativity in a bite size piece of delicious food and gives the customer a glimpse on what is to come.





Once I got trained up in starters I started to move around in the kitchen, so I could get an all-round feel for the workings of the kitchen. I have worked with the chefs on main courses, helping pastry, the function team with weddings, parties and conferences and even have worked in the Lighthouse lounge which serves sandwiches, salads and selections of Tapas.






 This a picture of one of the starters we serve in the Oak Restaurant in the Hotel (Bushmills Whiskey & Dill Cured Salmon, horseradish cream, apple jelly, fried capers and pickled shallots)





  

The seaside town of Newcastle Co. Down
When I first moved to Newcastle the first thing I noticed was the amazing scenery that is the Mourne Mountains and the North Channel of the Irish Sea. It is a major tourist attraction because of Tollymore forest park which was one of many filming locations in Northern Ireland for the American fantasy drama ‘Game of Thrones’.
So, let’s talk about the night life in Newcastle 😉. So, after a stressful day at work nothing makes me happier then throwing the whites in the corner of the room and getting our glad rags on (but in Roberts case his flowery T-shirt) and heading to Quinn’s Pub in the centre of Newcastle for a few ‘Quiet Pints’ with Saoirse and Robert.

This experience so far has been a whirl win of emotions but I’m glad I get to experience working with an extraordinary work force into making this hotel the best it can be.
That’s all for now ladies and gents stay tuned for more of my journey in the Slieve Donard again soon
Lots of ‘wee’ love
Aine 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment