Tuesday 20 December 2022

Build Up to Christmas in Edinburgh

 With Christmas fast approaching, Edinburgh’s famous Christmas markets were beginning to take shape in early December. My last day of work was Sunday 4th December and I allowed myself an extra week in Edinburgh to explore the Christmas markets and what they had to offer. After the clocks went back its gets dark here very early, and right now the sun sets around 4 o clock every day, meaning the Christmas lights are at full blast before dinnertime. The markets were fun to look around, definitely puts Winterval to shame anyway, but the minus 4 degrees temperature wasn’t exactly ideal. After taking a ride on the big wheel and trying to get some warmth from a mulled wine, I called it a day before I froze to death.


The weekend after I came back to Edinburgh from my weekend at home, my friends came over to visit. It was lovely to be able to show them around the city and of course, bring them to a few pubs. We took a walk through Old Town and took lots of pictures, we fit right in with all the tourists that’s for sure. One of the nights I brought them to an arcade bar and we played mini golf and bowling, it got very competitive but of course I won, I couldn’t have them show me up in my new stomping grounds. We found some lovely spots for breakfast and coffee in the morning and I took them to BABA, where I work, for dinner. We were spoiled by everyone in the restaurant and got lots of freebies, we almost had to be rolled out after dinner. It was a very nice feeling for me to be able to show off the restaurant and display the high level of quality food I was capable of making in my new workplace, they were all blown away. Unfortunately for the lads, when they arrived home they all came down with a dose of COVID bar one, and myself thank god. Not a great end to their little holiday but at least they got it after and not before!!!!!!

My last day few days of work in BABA were quite emotional to say the least, its amazing how quickly bonds and friendships are formed in such a big workplace. I got everyone in work to sign a chef jacket for me before my final day and there were some lovely messages on it, I wish I could I share a picture of it but theres a few bits on it that might not look so great on a college blog……….


My dad flew over to spend my last weekend in Edinburgh with me and I’m due to fly back with him during the week. I also took him into work for my final meal there and again, we were spoiled rotten. I really cant speak highly enough of the team in BABA, it was an absolute joy to work there from start to finish and I’ve made friends I know I’ll have for life. 

This definitely isn’t the end of my story in Edinburgh, 

Until next time………. James


No comments:

Post a Comment