Friday 22 October 2021

My first month in Coleraine

Hello, I'm Debbie Jiang, a third year student from WIT Culinary Arts. This semester, I chose to go to the University of Ulster for a one-semester exchange program. We specialize in product development and food innovation. I am interested in this major because I want to know more about food innovation. Our courses run through the whole major. We have year 1, year 2 and year 4 classes, but only three days a week, so that I can have more time to do what I want to do.✌


The scenery here is picturesque, not as cold as I expected, nor as rainy every day. The ecology here is good, but watch out! Wasps are likely to chase you (just kidding, they're just noisy, they don't sting you). I live in the student apartment on campus, which is very close to the school and only 5 minutes walk to the teaching building, which is very suitable for students who want to sleep in. The weekly rate here is 115 pounds, including miscellaneous fees. The reception desk of the dormitory is very hospitable, providing free snacks and organizing entertainment activities every week.👀


The main means of transportation here is train. Before I came here, I thought it was very inconvenient to travel, but later I found it is very convenient. All you need to do is download an App and it will tell you all the train schedules and bus schedules. It takes 40-45 minutes to walk to the city centre, but only 4 minutes by train. The price is around 2 for return trip and is cheaper with a monthly or seasonal pass. Supermarkets, clothing stores, pharmacies, everything is very convenient in the city center. I often go to a movie theater downtown with my friends. There are bowling alleys and student prices are very good. If you like Asian food, I recommend Yoko here. They do a great Beijing duck pancake.👍


All in all, life here is not as boring as I thought at first, but full of surprises. You can always have a lovely date with your good friends and sit in a coffee shop downtown for an afternoon and catch up on the latest happenings. Or head to the bar for an evening drink and soak up the atmosphere. If you have time, take a quick trip and go to Belfast for a fun weekend. In short, it's all there to explore.☺☺☺☺

 

No comments:

Post a Comment