Wednesday 7 December 2022

Christmas in Edinburgh 

As time is going by so quickly and it’s almost time for placement to finish, I must say it has been an absolute pleasure around Edinburgh in the city especially with the Christmas Market kicking off.



The Edinburgh Christmas Market is one of the biggest festivals in Edinburgh. The festival kicked off on the 25th of November and will run until the 3rd of January. The market includes local craft and food stalls as well as amusement rides all along Princes Street Gardens with an ice-skating rink and a carousel on George Street between Charlotte Square & Castle Street Popped in to see the market for myself when I was off and I am enjoying it so far, especially when I’m not driving and I could have a sneaky pint in the middle of the day because I’m commuting by bus and haven’t been driving for 3 months now which I was so used to.

While the Christmas Market is happening in Edinburgh, I’m also preparing for Christmas Functions for Banqueting with about 70 Salted Caramel Cheesecakes and preparing Christmas dinners for the same functions.


When I’m not busy with the Christmas Banqueting or BABA prep. I recently started doing Dessert and Fruit platters for smaller groups staying in the hotel as well as showing one of the kitchen porters who got promoted to a breakfast chef the ropes around the cheffing side of the kitchen and everything I learned over the past few months which is something I wouldn’t think I’d be doing, seeing the way things were. Felt like it was time to pass them on as I’ll be flying home in 2 weeks’ time.


As the time is going by so fast, I have to say it has been a pleasure working in the Kimpton from when I started on the 26th September when I felt homesick as well as having the first day nerves to having confidence with Breakfast, Banqueting, BABA & finally Canteen prep. I felt I really got on in the hotel over the past 3 months which has flown by so fast and now I feel sad that I’ll by flying back home but also happy at the same time as I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of Edinburgh, and I can see myself 100% returning to Edinburgh when I complete the BA Honours Degree and hopefully return the Kimpton again.

This has been a truly remarkable experience and I’m glad I went to Edinburgh for the International Placement part of the year abroad of the course. Hopefully Barcelona turns out the same way when I start over there for the Study part of the year abroad and finish the last few weeks of placement.

All the best and Merry Christmas!

Oscar Fitzgerald

No comments:

Post a Comment