Monday 30 May 2022

The George Edinburgh

 Hi all, Bethany here with my final blog post about work in The George Hotel Edinburgh.

So I have finally completed my hours for placement and its almost bitter sweet writing this last post. Although it feels sad, this isn’t an end, only a new beginning. I remember being so frustrated, like the rest of our year group when covid hit and our college experience was changed completely. But now I get to think of this experience as entirely unique, I don’t have to leave this city that I’ve fallen in love with. No more college to return to, I can stay in my job, and continue to plan my life here. I’m now incredibly grateful to have been given this experience at all.

The George hotel has had its ups and downs since I’ve worked here. We’ve lost some good chefs, some friends have left us for better opportunities, or some like my dear friend Lauren who is returning to WIT for her final year. We have dealt with some extremely busy nights and some very quiet ones too.

For the most part I’m glad I don’t have to leave, I’ve made friends working in the hotel, and learned a great deal about the hotel industry. I have been ordained “Chief of Pastry” by my co-workers and we’re never short of a laugh.



The kitchen team has it rough sometimes, like most chefs around the world. But now we officially have a new Head Chef and a Sous, so there will be more structure and better management within the kitchen. I really have enjoyed learning the ins and outs of each section, and taking on the pastry section as my own, I have full creative control over the dessert menu… within reason of course.

 

My goals for the next few months are to completely revamp the dessert menu, the ingredients used and the methods. I’ve been reading into more eco friendly and healthier pastry recipes lately and I think it would be interesting to try incorporating that into the hotel’s food. We are a 5* hotel after all, the food should always reflect the star status.

I do one day hope to move on and to continue expanding my patisserie experience, but for now I’m glad to say I have a job and I’m comfortable, so I can’t complain. Who knows, maybe I’ll stay in the hotel for longer than I envisioned, maybe I'll move up the ranks. I have been given the opportunity to learn the kitchen operations that are handled in the office, which I’ve been told could lead to a managerial type level of experience and the pay to reflect that. The experience will be incredibly helpful to learn considering I still have a dream of opening my own bakery one day.

Anyway, things are going well, there are always bumps in the road. But I try to remind myself that I’ve been through worse, and this is a great opportunity to be given. Not many are as lucky in life, and I will forever be grateful that I can consider myself lucky.

Finally just to say thank you to my friends, the last 4 years have been amazing, I miss you all and can’t wait to see you again. 

Goodbye for now, Bethany. 


No comments:

Post a Comment