Thursday 14 April 2022

Slieve Donard Hotel in Newcastle




Hello from Newcastle

Since my last blog post, work has been extremely busy. I am working 5 days a week, a minimum of 40 hours per week. I get two days off every week and I try to make the most of my days off. There are some lovely walks around Newcastle, along the promenade overlooking the beach or there are different walks around the Mourne Mountains.  

It was a bit overwhelming at the beginning as it was such a big change working in a hotel but I am now very confident with finding my way around the kitchen and enjoying every minute. Since my last blog post, I have got a lot of experience in the pastry section. I have experienced a range of different tasks in the pastry section in the main restaurant. Some days, I work the early shift, for example from 8am until 4pm or the night shift from 12 – finish. However, these hours depend on how busy we are. During the day shifts, I would have the responsibility of making sure all the afternoon teas are ready and then I would make sure there is traybakes ready for the Chaplins Bar and the Lighthouse Lounge as these are served to the guests with their coffees. There is never a dull moment in the pastry kitchen as we are always preparing for something!

Pastry Service 


Valentine’s Day was huge in the Slieve Donard with a special menu for the weekend leading up to the day. I was in charge of making shortbread biscuits and cupcakes in the shapes of hearts for the guests. The desserts during the service were also changed to suit the theme of Valentine’s Day. Easter is fast approaching and I am curious to what it will be like in the hotel during this time.

The hotel is very busy and this week I have moved from pastry to the function. This was an exciting change. I have only been there for a week but so far, I am enjoying it. There has been a lot of conferences and weddings at the hotel.










Overall, since I arrived at the Slieve Donard I have learnt loads and I am gaining lots of experience. I am very happy here and I would highly recommend anyone to do their work placement in this hotel. Especially for those who are weary about moving away from home. I have made lots of new friends and I am excited to see what the next few weeks will bring.

Until next time,

Eimear


No comments:

Post a Comment