Thursday 23 January 2020

London at Christmas!


In the last few weeks in the bakery, things got very busy as we were getting closer to Christmas, with orders almost doubling every day from what they were and the hours also getting earlier and longer in order to get everything out on time. I have not moved away from making artisan bread, only when the pastry team need some extra help with the 1000’s of mince pies and ginger bread men on order, every day you couldn’t help but feel Christmassy!

Outside the bakery Christmas was well and truly underway. In London, Christmas began in early November, with the various ice-skating rinks opening up around, the switching on of the Christmas lights ceremony for almost every street and of course Winter Wonderland, there’s really no better time to be over there if you want to get into the Christmas spirit!

Luckily, I’ve been getting to do a lot more wondering around and sightseeing as it is coming to the end of my placement.  On my last post.  On my days off I did my best to try get around to all of the Christmas markets and have managed quite a few, with Trafalgar Square and Leicester Square being two of them and of course South Bank where you’ll find the most impressive market. Winter Wonderland is a must see if you are in London, located in Hyde Park which makes it that bit more special, it’s a mix of food stalls, craft stalls, amusements and has a general all round Christmassy feel to it but better off going mid-week as the crowds at the weekend are huge!

A wonder around Harrods was also on my list while I was here, the food hall in particular which is not like anything else, the presentation and their displays alone are amazing and that’s before you’ve even got to taste anything, it’s definitely worth a look!

Another area I am happy I explored was Notting Hill and it really is as picturesque as in the film, with endless little cafes and bookshops and perfectly kept streets, you feel that you’ve step out of London for a while!



Overall, working and living in London was a great opportunity. Living and working in a city was completely new to me but a great experience and I feel that I will take the new and improved skills I learnt from Paul Rhodes Bakery with me to wherever I end up next!

All the best from London,
Clara.

No comments:

Post a Comment