Thursday 8 September 2022

La Pyramide

 La Pyramide

Hey guys, It’s Erika again here to fill you in on my semester two work placement. I loved life

in France so much I decided to come back. It was amazing to see how different life can be

just a 20 minute train journey south of Lyon. The small town of Vienne, where the restaurant

I’m working in is located, is extremely quiet and traditional, compared to the bustling

‘melting pot’ Lyon is known to be. The change of pace is much appreciated, but it is still nice

to know that there is such a short distance between me and all the places, and people, that

made me want to come back.


The restaurant itself is part of the hotel ‘La Pyramide’, named for its proximity to the statue

of a pyramid in Vienne. My internship coincided with the 200 year anniversary of the hotel’s

opening, with special meals, and guests, chefs, and otherwise, making appearances

throughout the year. I found out that this was a special year when I saw the camera crew

wandering through the kitchen on my first day. If I had any uncertainties that my experience

here would be memorable, this definitely gave it away.


Since the hotel, and restaurant, close for the month of February, it’s cool seeing the place re-

stocked, with everyone learning a new menu at the same time. Even though the chefs here

have held 2 Michelin stars for years, they couldn’t be more humble, with all of us tasting

each dish, and our opinions taken into account. Since the pastry kitchen is separated from the

main cuisine area, it’s hard to know if I was the only one that felt like a deer in headlights

initially.


Catch up with you guys soon, Erika.



No comments:

Post a Comment